THIRD HIGH LEVEL MEETING ON PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION PEACE PACT - 2020
1. We the presidential candidates of the two major political parties in the country, namely the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC), having met at the Mövenpick Ambassador Hotel on this 4th day of December 2020, at the instance of the National Peace Council, the National House of Chiefs and the National Chief Imam of Ghana with the objective of securing peaceful general elections in December 2020 and the judicial resolution of electoral disputes.
2. Ghana's track record in organizing peaceful and credible elections in the Fourth Republic.
3. Recollecting the Kumasi Declaration which was signed by the Presidential Candidates of the 2012 elections committing themselves to “TAKING A STAND AGAINST ELECTORAL VIOLENCE, IMPUNITY AND INJUSTICE IN GHANA” as well as the 2016 Accra Declaration on “A COMMITMENT TO PEACEFUL ELECTIONS AND JUDICIAL RESOLUTION OF ELECTION DISPUTES”;
4. Taking cognizance that parliament has unanimously passed the Vigilantism and Related Offences Act 2019 whilst the political parties under the auspices of the National Peace Council have signed the Code of Conduct and Roadmap for the eradication of vigilante violence.
5. Bearing in mind that, in spite of this Act and Code of Conduct, sporadic violence has been reported in several constituencies during and after the 2020 voter registration exercise.
Download full pact document